The town of Peshtera has an old and interesting history which traces its origin from ancient times. Over the millennia, this place was inhabited by Thracians, Slavs, and Bulgarians, which underwent the influence of the Greeks, Macedonians, Romans and Ottomans. The Thracian tribe Bessi is considered to be the first settlers in the area. In the Middle Ages the population was engaged mainly in agriculture, cattle and mining.

During Ottoman rule the inhabitants of Peshtera participated in the haidouk movement and national liberation struggles. The town's history is collected in a rich collection of over 8,000 artifacts revealing the life in different periods. The picturesque historic towns of Batak and Bratsigovo are located near Peshtera, they were centers of emblematic historical events.

Peshtera has a well developed economy; there are several big factories in the city: "Biovet" - plant for antibiotics and medications, "Winery Peshtera" - a plant for wine and alcoholic products, and many shoe factories.


Snejanka cave

The Snejanka cave is located in the Batak Mountain in the Western Rhodopes, 5km from the town of Peshtera. It was discovered on 3 January 1961 by a group of climbers. An eco path about 800 meters long leads to the entrance to the beautiful cave where you can see some of the most beautiful cave formations.


Batak is a town in southern Bulgaria, the administrative center of the municipality of Batak. It is located 15 km from the town of Peshtera, 35 km from the town of Pazardzhik, 55 km from the city of Plovdiv and 27 km from the town of Velingrad.

Fortress "Peristera"

Peristera fortress is located 800 meters north of the center of Peshtera, at the very verge of the city, left of the road to the town of Pazardzhik. In the center of the fortress there is an older set of stones, probably a Thracian sanctuary. Citadel of the fortress extends to 3 acres and the second...

Clock Tower Sahata

Clock Tower Saha is one of the few preserved architectural monuments of the 17th century. It is assumed that it was built between 1650 and 1710, but the exact date of construction is unknown.